This creamy Mushroom Stroganoff is the comfort food you never knew you needed!
The sauce takes a little finesse but if you follow the instructions slowly you will have a dish that is sure to satisfy!
- half a a white onion or 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 5 cups of chopped white mushrooms
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Pinot Grigio (or dry white wine of choice)
- cayenne pepper to taste
- your choice of pasta or rice
- Heat canola oil in a medium sized pan on low heat.
- Add garlic, cook off for about a minute.
- Add mushrooms, sauté for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- In a separate small pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. To make sure the oil is hot enough, drip some water in the oil to see if it pops out, if it does the oil is ready. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Gradually add in the flour and stir consistently.
- Then add in the almond milk, as you continue to stir. (We are making a rue. It may bubble up at times but just keep stirring, you don’t want it to burn. Your rue should be thick but smooth.)
- Take the pan that had the mushrooms in it and slowly pour the juice from the mushrooms into your rue. YOU ARE DRAINING THE JUICE FROM THE MUSHROOMS, YOU AREN’T ADDING THE MUSHROOMS TO YOUR RUE. You can use the spoon you were stirring with to keep the mushrooms from falling into your rue. (Always keep stirring you don’t want your rue to burn.)
- Once your rue is well combined, turn the heat off.
- Now you can add the rue to your mushrooms, and stir to combine.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of veggie broth and stir.
- Add soy sauce, and stir.
- Cook off for about 6-7 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Add the last 1/2 cup of veggie broth, onion, black pepper, salt, parsley, bay leaves, cayenne, and Pinot Grigio. Simmer on low for another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, let the sauce sit for a couple of minutes before plating.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve over pasta or rice, and add salt to taste.